Highway 50 is now open.
The major connector into South Lake Tahoe from Sacramento was shut-down by the Caldor Fire on August 20th. Since then, hundreds of burned-out trees have been removed. “We will allow the general public starting at 8 a.m. on Tuesday,” Caltrans spokeswoman Angela DaPrato said during a virtual wildfire briefing Sunday evening.
The highway as of Monday morning remained shut down in both directions between Kyburz and Meyers for general travel, but residents with documentation of residency or homeownership as of 8 a.m. were allowed access to closed areas along that stretch, according to the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office. Caltrans says Highway 50 will be closed down to one-lane in some places where clean up and repairs continue. according to The Sacramento Bee.
The blaze is now close to 220,000 acres but with 72% containment, and most evacuation orders aside from the one between (but not including) Kyburz and Meyers have been reduced to warnings or lifted, including the Pollock Pines and South Lake Tahoe areas.