The US Army has issued a warning about a series of fake text messages that are falsely informing people around the U.S. that they have been drafted into military service.
The texts inform the recipient that they have been selected to report to the nearly Army recruiting station for "immediate departure to Iran." The texts also say the Army has been trying to contact the individual for some time and if they fail to appear at the recruiting branch, they could face fines or jail for a "minimum 6 years" if the recipient doesn't reply.
In a statement issued by U.S. Army Recruiting Command on Tuesday, the Army said they want Americans to know that these texts were fake and did not come from them. They come amid rising tensions with Iran following a U.S. drone strike that killed top Iranian General Qasem Soleimani and the country striking back at U.S. bases in Iraq.
"U.S. Army Recruiting Command has received multiple calls and emails about these fake text messages and wants to ensure Americans understand these texts are false and were not initiated by this command or the U.S. Army." a statement from the Army said.
The U.S. Military has been an all-volunteer force since conscription in the United States was last used in 1973 during the Vietnam War. The draft can only be reinstated by legislation from Congress.
Google searches for the term "draft age" spiked last week following the drone strike by U.S. forces. The Selective Service System, which handles draft registration reported its website crashed last week due to a high number of visitors.
"The Selective Service System is conducting business as usual,” according to the Selective Service System’s official Facebook page. “In the event that a national emergency necessitates a draft, Congress and the President would need to pass official legislation to authorize a draft."
Men in the United States who are between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register for the draft.
Photo: Getty Images